All you need is love and … a way to say ‘thank you’
The jobs and etiquette of a wedding doesn’t stop once the day is over. You will come home from your honeymoon all newly wed and smiley and be faced with getting those thank you cards out. It is important to thank all your friends and family for their time, generosity and their thoughtfulness on the day. After all they helped you celebrate your special day and they are the people who are helping you build your life as a newly married couple, surely that deserves a thank you card.
Thank you notes also act as a confirmation that you received a gift that may have come in the mail, it lets the givers know you received their gift.
There’s some tips to make the process simpler
- Keep the list of addresses when you do your invitations, because you are going to need those again when you do your thank you cards.
- Keep a list of who gave you what, either before the wedding, or give someone the job of noting it (making sure cards are firmly fastened to gifts) at the reception.
- Order thank you cards when you order your invitations. www.bemyguest.co.nz/ does beautiful personalised wedding stationary.
- Save yourself some time by writing thank you notes as the gifts come in before the wedding, it’ll be one less to do after.
- Ask your photographer to take a photo of you with a ‘thank you’ prop, (either a sign or bunting etc) on the wedding day to use as a thank you card.
- Don’t try and write them all in one sitting, you’ll get writers cramp, and make sure you share the job with your husband.
- Wedding thank you notes should be hand-written, and make sure you address the giver by name and reference the gift they gave you.
- Notes should go out within 2 weeks when the gift is received before the wedding and within 2 months after the wedding, unless you’re lucky enough to be on a 6 month honeymoon, and then lucky you, but you’ll still need to get them done when you get home.
- There are many ways you can do thank you cards, you can just do a thank you card in the same suite as your invitations, and you can order them at the same time, or you can use a wedding photo as a postcard as a thank you, or you can take a photo on the wedding day with a thank you prop which you can use as part of the thank you card.
- Don’t forget you’ll need to purchase stamps to send them all, make sure you budget for postage.