All you need is love and … date nights.
So you’re in the throes of wedding planning, it’s stressful, time consuming, expensive, he’s not agreeing with you, Great Aunty Fanny is trying to tell you what to do! You’re getting a bit overwhelmed, you have a job, maybe some kids, a mortgage and a wedding to plan, aaaargggh!
It’s time to remember who you’re planning to marry and why!
It’s time for a date night.
Date nights are a great way to re-connect with each other, and remember that you guys had fun together, before the wedding planning and the kids, and Great Aunty Fanny. And the good news is they don’t have to be expensive, (which is awesome if you’re saving manically for a wedding) it is after all about just spending time together. You don’t even have to leave the house (which is great if you don’t have a babysitter for the little people) And while a dinner and movie, is cool, if that’s what floats your boat, there’s heaps of other ideas for some different date nights.
Here’s a list of ideas
- Learn to dance together – you could include this as part of your wedding planning, but learning a dance for your first dance, or try something completely different, hip hop any-one?
- Night classes – great opportunity to learn a new skill/language together.
- Walk – just go for a stroll around your neighbour-hood, it’s free!
- Go out for dessert/coffee – a way less cheaper option than a full meal.
- Cook a new meal/dish together – choose an interesting/new/yummy sounding meal off the internet, or a magazine/cookbook. And prepare the meal together, put on some music, pour a glass of something nice, and enjoy each other’s company. Bonus is you actually have a meal to share together at the end of it.
- Do something touristy – is there something in your town/city that all the tourists visit, but you’ve never been, check it out.
- Head out of town – just jump in the car and drive, stop along the way for fish n chips or an ice-cream.
- Picnic – prepare a picnic and head to a local beach or park.
- Coffee and a walk on the beach – grab a takeaway coffee and head to the beach for a stroll.
- Board game at home – dust off the old monopoly game (or whatever game takes your fancy), even a card game. Grab some snacks, a bottle of something and enjoy the game.
- Visit the local pet shop or SPCA – take some time to play with the animals.
- Pot luck dinner – organise a pot-luck dinner, that way you don’t have to do all the work, and it’s cheaper and have a adult dinner with adult conversation.
- Star gaze together – super cheap and super romantic. Lay a blanket on the ground and gaze at the sky. Of course there’s an app for making sure you actually know what you are looking at (Nightsky)
- Surprise – One of the couple is in charge of organising the date night.
- Share items on your bucket list – it may inspire future date nights.
- Brunch – Brunch may be easier to wrangle a babysitter for, and will generally be cheaper than a dinner out.
- Karaoke – You either love it or hate it. If you love it hit the local karaoke club and sing a duet together.
- Hire a kayak – Take a trip around your local harbour together. You can usually hire kayaks by the hour reasonably cheaply.
- Quiz night – Check out your local bar for when their local quiz night is. Form a team with others and be amazed at the obscure general knowledge your partner has.
In the midst of wedding planning, or just life in general, it’s so easy to get caught up in just getting through the day. It is so easy to unintentionally disconnect from each other. We live in a society where FOMO (fear of missing out) means a lot of us are glued to our phones/laptops and not paying attention to the person sitting on the other end of the couch.