All you need is love and advice on how to propose.
So this is it, she’s the one you want to spend the rest of your life with. Now it’s time to think about how to propose. Proposals are one of those things that women love to tell everyone about, when they show off the ring, so you want to make it great. Here’s some do’s and dont’s on how to propose like a boss.
- Decide if you want to ask her parents – some women may find it sexist and/or offensive if you do this, others will love it, and it could score you some great brownie points with the in-laws. If you’re ready to spend the rest of your life with her, then you should know the answer to whether you should ask or not.
- Figure out whether you should buy the ring or let her choose one – you will have a pretty good idea whether she wants to pick her own ring or not. Talk to friends, even take one shopping with you, to get the perfect one.
- Decide on the day – Do you have a meaningful day? (anniversary of first meeting etc) or birthday or Christmas. There’s definitely pros and cons to choosing a special day, you can do it in front of family and friends who can help you celebrate. On the other hand you will always share the day with another special occasion, which could take the shine off it.
- Decide location – do you have a favourite, meaningful spot you want to use? Try to get a sense of whether she would want a big public proposal or something more private.
- Getting down on one knee is always a good idea.
- Clothes make the man – Be dressed in your best, suited for the occasion and location. Remember there will probably be photos/selfies, so you want to be looking your best.
- Don’t over-complicate it – the best proposals are the simple, heartfelt ones
- Calm your nerves – practice what you want to say. Remember she will probably remember what you say for the rest of her life, make it count.
- Big no-no’s – Don’t propose while you’re drunk, or hungover. Don’t hide the ring in food, so many ways that can do wrong. Don’t break the law to propose. Don’t propose to stop her being angry at you in the middle of a fight.
This is a once in a lifetime deal, make sure you give it the thought/planning it deserves, and good luck.