All you need is love … and a great best man.
It’s an honour to be asked to be a best man. It can be heaps of fun but also comes with a lot of responsibility. Here’s a run down on what a best man does.
Before the wedding
- Plan the stag party – probably the most fun aspect of the role. It’s your job to plan what/when/how much for the stag party.
- Tux/suit hire – it’s your job to help the groom sort out his suit for the wedding, whether he’s going to be buying or hiring. It’s also your job to organise the other groomsman to make sure they’re all there when the suits are selected and for fittings. That way you’re all matching.
- Rehearsal – Attend the wedding rehearsal, usually the day before. Pay special attention to where you’ve got to be, when you have to be there. You will also need to ensure all the groomsman know where they have to be.
- Help the groom on the wedding day – It’s your job to make sure you take the stress off the groom on the big day. You need to help him dress, make sure he has everything he needs, and then give him and all the groomsmen a quick once over before you arrrive at the ceremony.
During the wedding ceremony
- Distribute the boutonnieres (buttonholes) and make sure everyone is wearing them.
- Hold the rings. You either need to have the rings right from the beginning or you take the rings off the ring bearer.
- Sign the marriage licence. You may be asked to sign the marriage licence to make the marriage official. Make sure you bring it up at the rehearsal if the officiant doesn’t mention it.
- Escort the maid of honour or bridesmaid out of the ceremony.
At the Reception
- Best man toast – Perform the best man toast/speech at the reception. Probably the most nerve-wracking part of the role. There’s heaps of info on the internet about how to nail your best man speech.
- Read the telegrams – or in today’s day and age, read any emails, tweets, facebook updates for the couple.
- Dance with the maid of honour-It’s your job to get the party started once the first dance of the bride and groom is underway.
- Decorate the getaway car.
- Help to decorate the honeymoon suite with the maid of honour.
- Suits back – take the grooms tux/suit back to the hire shop, if the couple are leaving for their honeymoon straight after wedding.
The gist of the role is that you are the right hand man for the groom, you are standing beside your best mate/brother to support him on one of the biggest/best day of his life. It is a honour to be asked, so make sure you are happy to fulfill the role to the best of your abilities before you say yes.