So we all know by now that we need a celebrant to make the marriage official. And there are a ton of us around, most of us do an amazing job, and it’s really important to choose the exact right celebrant for you. It’s important to choose someone who gets your vibe, if you want serious, choose a serious celebrant, if you want someone who can speak French then choose one who can speak French, if you want a male, then guess what choose a male!
We are all there to perform your ceremony, and there are a million different ways that that can happen, because essentially in New Zealand there is a very small part of the ceremony that has to be done to make it all official, so really the sky’s the limit with how you want your ceremony to look and feel.
I thought I would make a list of things that I won’t do, to give you an indication of what I will do for you in the process of getting you both hitched.
- I won’t tell you what to do – That’s not really my job, I see my job as providing you with inspiration, ideas and solutions to help make your ceremony the best ceremony ever! So I will never tell you what you have to do.
- I won’t leave you hanging – I’m pretty good at communication, I will get back to you promptly if you have any questions (not at 3am, because that is sometimes when you’re awake stressing about wedding stuff) I will give you a timeline for the process and give you updates and deadlines when things need to be done.
- I won’t let Great Aunty Fanny bully you – If you’re a long time listener of me, then you know who Great Aunty Fanny is, but it can also be your Mum or your Mother in Law or your sister etc. It’s that person who always puts their two cents in, and thinks that they are always right. I will be clear on what your vision is, and make sure that that is what is executed in the day, regardless of what Great Aunty Fanny wants.
- I won’t make you do anything in your ceremony that you don’t want to do – Usually the first thing people say to me is “We don’t want any religion in our ceremony” but they say it in a pensive way, like they are not sure what I’m going to say. Truth is the reason why you choose a celebrant over a church is because you’re not religious, so no drama. Don’t want to say vows? No sweat (I’ll probably tell you to really think about that option, just because vows are so special, and one of my favourite parts of the ceremony) Don’t want to walk down the aisle, then don’t.
- I won’t be boring, stiff and cold – I want your ceremony to be the best part of your day. I want you to look forward to it, not dread it. I want your guests to be engaged, active listening, laughing and crying if they are really feeling it. So I work hard at making your ceremony fun, personalised and full of all the feels, right from the word go.
- I won’t freestyle it on the day – You will know exactly what I am going to say during the ceremony, except for a bit of ad libbing. It means you can relax that you’re not going to get any surprises (especially bad ones) and why we usually do a rehearsal, so you know exactly what is going to happen.
- I won’t be late – I will be at your ceremony space at least 45 mins before your ceremony. Usually I’m the only one there at that time, but that’s ok, because it gives me time to set myself up, help with any last minute prep and calm the groom down.
- I won’t be inappropriately dressed – One of the questions I ask when we are planning your ceremony is what are your colours and your theme, that is for me to ensure that I am dressed appropriately. If your bridesmaids are wearing one colour I don’t want to turn up wearing the same colour, and blend into the bridal party. If there is a particular colour you want me to wear then I’m happy to accommodate, and rest assured I will leave my neon pink leopard print mini dress at home.
- I won’t be creepy – One of my extra skills as well as being a kick arse celebrant is also a ninja, that means that I will slowly ninja my way out of your first kiss photo. Because no-one needs my face creepily watching you kiss!
- I won’t drink all the champers and eat all the food – I generally ninja my way (see ninja skills come in handy) out of your wedding shortly after you have walked back down your aisle. Because I know how much a wedding cost, and I don’t want to drink all your wine, and eat all the yummy food, that you have paid for your guests. I know you want to get on with hanging out with all your friends and family, not me.
- I won’t be disorganised and forget the important paperwork – Your marriage licence is printed off as soon as you email it to me, and put in your file with all your other wedding items and that will always be with me on the day, as well as vow cards, readings, music playlists, my PA and microphone, and there will always be tissues in my pockets too.
- I won’t sing you down the aisle – For good reason, although I sound amazing in the car with the stereo cranked right up, I can’t sing, and it would totally ruin your wedding. There are some celebrants who can sing, and who I know sound amazing, so choose one of them. I will stick to creating your a spotify playlist and using that instead.
- I won’t copy and past your ceremony – Your ceremony should be about you, your personalities, your story and your love, so of course it’s going to be different to any one else’s ceremony.
Sound good? Then feel free to hit me up and lets have a chat about your plans.